Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions - Still In Work
Updated 8 February 2008
Why a FAQ?
- Over the years I've received a ton of e-mail about the site and after awhile I started seeing a trend. So, I thought it was about time that I put together a FAQ. If you know of any resources that I missed please let me know so I can include it.
What's the status of the USS Midway?
- The Midway was moved to her final retirement spot alongside Navy Pier in San Diego on 10 January 2004. She opened to the public as a museum and conference center in June 2004.
What does it cost to get aboard and what are the hours? Is there handicapped access?
- Plan Your Visit at Midway.org.
What aircraft and other displays will the USS Midway have? - UPDATED 8 February 2008
- I believe there are currently there are twenty-five aircraft loaded aboard. For an up to date list check the Status Board at Midway's Aircraft.ORG. The site also contains a lot of great photos of the aircraft as they go through the restoration process.
- The museum is also loaded with a lot of other displays. Check http://midway.org for the latest information.
Where can I get a Cruise Book? NEW
- Up until recently you're only options were used book stores and eBay, both of which usually command a pretty hefty price for one in good shape. However, I have opened up a webstore where you can purchase cruise books that I have scanned on CDROM. I've done this for several reasons. One, I'd love to make entire cruisebooks available on my website but I don't have the storage space neccessary. Some of these books are over 350 pages. Also, it would be nice to sell something that would help pay my server costs and also donate a share to the Midway Museum. For more information on the Cruise Books on CDROM go HERE.
Are there any books available about the USS Midway?
- Scott McGaugh has written the first-ever book on Midway's remarkable 47-year odyssey--based on 300+ crewmen interviews. Visit http://www.midwaymagic.com or click HERE for ordering information.
- Scott also co-authored a photo book of the Midway with Rudy Shapee. You can purchase a copy at the Jet Shop.
Where can I find more info on the USS Midway Musuem?
- The following websites are setup to provide information on the San Diego Aircraft Carrier Museum;
- San Diego Hotels at RigTheBarricade.com
Your history of the Midway is kinda lame. Where can I find a more thorough one? NEW
- Mine is lame because Troy Prince already researched about the most complete history you're ever going to find. Go to his Midway History page to read all you ever wanted to know.
How can I find out about ribbons I might have been awarded while onboard the USS Midway?
- The following website has information on how you can obtain information on personal/unit awards, and replacement medals.
- MidwaySailor.com has a great page on Midway awards
- In addition, Eric Glass informed me the following concerning awards for Desert Storm;
- "The USS Midway was awarded the Kuwaiti Liberation Medal (Saudi Arabia). Most of us have the one awarded by Kuwait. This Saudi one is relatively new, given to the U.S. Military in 1997."
Hey, I have some medals or ribbons due me from my tour on the USS Midway. How do I get them?
- Military.com published a very informative article on this. I have posted the information complete with links for the proper forms to the USS Midway Forum. You can read it HERE.
What were the specs om the USS Midway? How long was she? How fast did she go? How much JP-5 was in the drinking water?
- All your answers are here at MidwaySailor.com's spec page... except the the JP-5 question. I believe the answer to that one is a lot.
Where can I get photos of the USS Midway?
- US Naval Institute (www.usni.org) has a great photo service.
- There's always some old B&W photos of the ship on ebay. Just search for USS Midway.
- The Dept of Defense also has a photo service, http://www.dodmedia.osd.mil/dvic/index.htm.
Where can I get patches?
- AV8R, http://www.av8rstuff.com/index.html
- Battlezone, http://www.thebattlezone.com/navy.htm
- Diamond Patch Co. (Japan - not sure yet how to order from the states), http://homepage2.nifty.com/diamond/
How can I get some of my pictures on your website?
- Easy, if you already have them scanned just e-mail them to me. If you need them scanned just send me an e-mail and we'll exchange info so you can mail them to me. I have a scanner here at home and can get your photos scanned and sent back within a week.
How come my squadron doesn't have it's own page on your site?
- This site started out with just information that was available to me when I was onboard 1981-84. Finding info on squadrons that were on the Midway before my time can be difficult. If you have some photos, a copy of your squadron insignia, and a history then I can make a page for your squadron. I've been able to do this for most of Air Wing 2 from information that's been forwarded to me. If I don't have a history for a squadron I try to find an existing one on the web and link to it.
I tried searching for someone from the Muster Bar and I don't get any results. What gives?
- The current muster bar is relativily new and not a lot of shipmates have created an entry. If you don't find what you're looking for there try the Muster Bar Archives at http://cv41.org/mbarchive.html. Also, scan through the Muster Bar Instructions at http://cv41.org/mb_instructions.html. It includes tips on how to enter your information and how to search. There will be an option soon to list every record in the muster bar as well as other enhancements.
What's New | USS Midway Forum | Guest Book | COMM | Links
All photos Copyright © Buzz Nau ,1995-2003 unless otherwise noted