Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions - Last Updated 12/30/14
Why a FAQ?
- Over the years I've received a ton of e-mail about the site and after awhile I started seeing a trend. So, I thought it was about time that I put together a FAQ. If you know of any resources that I missed please let me know so I can include it.
What's the status of the USS Midway?
- The Midway was moved to her final retirement spot alongside Navy Pier in San Diego on 10 January 2004. She opened to the public as a museum and conference center in June 2004.
What does it cost to get aboard and what are the hours? Is there handicapped access?
- Plan Your Visit at Midway.org.
What aircraft and other displays will the USS Midway have? - UPDATED 8 February 2008
- I believe there are currently there are twenty-five aircraft loaded aboard. For an up to date list check the Status Board at Midway's Aircraft.ORG. The site also contains a lot of great photos of the aircraft as they go through the restoration process.
- The museum is also loaded with a lot of other displays. Check http://midway.org for the latest information.
Where can I get a Cruise Book?
- Up until 2004 your only options were used book stores and eBay, both of which can command a pretty hefty price for one in good shape. As a means to fund my website costs I have opened up a webstore where you can purchase cruise books that I have scanned to PDF and send on a CDROM that will open in your web browser. For more information on the Cruise Books on CDROM go HERE.
Are there any books and videos available about the USS Midway?
Midway Magic: An Oral History of America's Legendary Aircraft Carrier - Scott McGaugh
USS Midway: America's Shield - Scott McGaugh
Midway Memories - Scott McGaugh & Rudy Shappee
USS Midway - Pete Clayton
Aircraft Pictorial No. 1 - USS Midway Air Wings - Pete Clayton
Rhymes of the Midway Mariners - USS Midway Museum Library Volunteers
Ironclaw: A Navy Carrier Pilot's War Experience on the USS Midway - Sherman Baldwin
Sailors in the Sky: Memoir of a Navy Aircrewman in the Korean War - Jack Sauter
- Scott McGaugh has written several books on Midway's remarkable 47-year odyssey. Pete Clayton has also written a couple and the Midway Museum's Research Library has just released one as well. If you know of any USS Midway books not listed please let me know and I will add them to the list. The History Channel produced a very nice documentary that is available on DVD. Midway shipmate Gary Schreffler transfers film or video tape media to DVD. I host a sales page for him on CV41.ORG and he has many discs of the USS Midway throughout her career.
- Note - I am not endorsing or encouraging you to purchase these through Amazon. I use these links below mainly because they should remain active.
USS Midway - The Hero Ship (History Channel)
USS Midway, CV-41/CVB-41/CVA-41, 1945-1970 (Traditions Military Videos)
Your history of the Midway is kinda lame. Where can I find a more thorough one? NEW
- Mine is lame because Troy Prince already researched about the most complete history you're ever going to find. Go to his Midway History page to read all you ever wanted to know.
How can I find out about ribbons I might have been awarded while onboard the USS Midway?
- The following website has information on how you can obtain information on personal/unit awards, and replacement medals.
- MidwaySailor.com has a great page on Midway awards
- In addition, Eric Glass informed me the following concerning awards for Desert Storm;
- "The USS Midway was awarded the Kuwaiti Liberation Medal (Saudi Arabia). Most of us have the one awarded by Kuwait. This Saudi one is relatively new, given to the U.S. Military in 1997."
What were the specs om the USS Midway? How long was she? How fast did she go? How much JP-5 was in the drinking water?
- All your answers are here at MidwaySailor.com's spec page... except the the JP-5 question. I believe the answer to that one is a lot.
Where can I get photos of the USS Midway?
- US Naval Institute (www.usni.org) has a great photo service.
- There's always some old B&W photos of the ship on ebay. Just search for USS Midway.
- Naval History & Heritage Command
How can I get some of my pictures on your website?
- Easy, if you already have them scanned just e-mail them to me. If you need them scanned just send me an e-mail (use the COMM link at the bottom of this page) and we'll exchange info so you can mail them to me. I have a scanner here at home and can get your photos scanned and sent back within a week.
How come my squadron doesn't have it's own page on your site?
- This site started out with just information that was available to me when I was onboard 1981-84. Finding info on squadrons that were on the Midway before my time can be difficult. If you have some photos, a copy of your squadron insignia, and a history then I can make a page for your squadron. I've been able to do this for most of Air Wing 2 from information that's been forwarded to me. If I don't have a history for a squadron I try to find an existing one on the web and link to it.
What's up with the Muster Bar?
- The current muster bar suffered a catostophic failure during a server application upgrade a few years ago. Basically the calls to the database were no longer supported due to a security issue. The search function is still active so you can see who is in it. Regardless of what you put in to search for it will retrieve all the records. It's on my list of "things-to-do" to learn enough mysql and php to rewrite the application, but I wouldn't hold your breath. I just have too many other things that are a higher priority to do. If you don't find who you're looking for in that Muster Bar try the Muster Bar Archives.
What's New | COMM | Links
All photos Copyright © Buzz Nau ,1995-2015 unless otherwise noted